OFF DUTY MODELS WHO CARE
1) What are some “big kid” activities you love to do that keep you youthful?
Activities? Easy.. all of them. Pottery, new recreational sports, board games, puzzles, naps, colouring – I’ve never come across an activity I’m not keen to try.
2) Beyond modeling, what are some cool projects, hobbies or side hustles you’re working on?
I love to hike and camp – and one of my favourite traditions has become choosing a different state park every summer and planning a week of hiking, exploring and sleeping under the stars with 4 of my close girlfriends. -I LOVE this idea... especially being deprived from nature and greenery in NYC, I think I may have to start making this a tradition as well!:)
3) Part of what’s so great about being a model is having a following on social media. What are some important messages you try to pass on to your followers?
Ouff, well funny you say that. I’ve recently started a degree in Biology after 7 years of modeling full time. A byproduct of that has been a complete lack of social media use and presence.
If my followers can take away anything from my account it is likely that social media takes a backseat to my real life. -I agree. We often get caught up comparing ourselves to people we see posting something new and exciting everyday, whether it's the truth or not. Perhaps the most refreshing thing we can all do is take a step back from social media and not feel so inclined to share every detail of our lives. Myself included!
4) You’re flying to a new city for a couple days of work. It’s a short trip- what are you packing?
I never travel without workout gear – jogging around a new city is a great way to take it all in, especially when I don’t have too much free time.
5) The fashion industry is quite wasteful, yet some companies and brands are trying to make a difference. Whether it’s a clean beauty brand or an ethical/sustainable company, do you have any favorites that stick out? Name as many as you want!
I’m a minimalist when it comes to products. I only wash my face with cold water, and don’t use any cleaners or masks - however I do apply face oil every night, especially in winter. I’m currently on my second bottle of Bjork and Berries Birch Recovery face oil. This Swedish skin care/beauty company has nailed simple ingredients, using mostly organic ingredients and essential oils.
6) What are some of your go-to self-care rituals?
I’ll never say no to a deep tissue massage, yoga or a nap.
But if I really feel like I need a day to reset and take care of myself I head to a bath house (ideally outdoors – Canada has some amazing ones like Spa Nordik) for a couple rounds of hot sauna/steam, cold plunge (..think frozen lake dip), rest and repeat.
Had to share this pic of Nimmo and I at Paris fashion week many years ago... I remember being so upset as my fashion week hadn't been as busy as I had hoped but felt so calm and relaxed (and happy!) seeing my fellow Canadian girls backstage... :)